Evangelical Training Association (ETA)
1. God is the infinite personal Spirit, who has revealed Himself as a Trinity in unity, existing eternally as Father, Son and Spirit – three persons and yet but one God.
2. The Bible, including both the Old and the New Testament, is a divine revelation, the original autographs of which were inspired by the Holy Spirit, so that the words were kept from error.
3. Jesus Christ is the image of the invisible God, which is to say, He is Himself very God; He took upon Him our nature, being conceived by the Holy Spirit, and born of the Virgin Mary; He died upon the cross as a substitutionary sacrifice for the sins of the world; He arose from the dead in the body in which He was crucified; He ascended into heaven in that body glorified, where He is now, our interceding high priest; He will come again personally and visibly to set up His kingdom and to judge the quick and the dead.
4. Man was created in the image of God, but fell into sin, and in that sense is lost; this is true of all men, and except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God; salvation is by grace through faith in Christ who His own self bore our sins in His own body on the tree; the retribution of the wicked and unbelieving and the reward of the righteous are everlasting; and as the reward is conscious, so is the retribution.
5. The church is an elect company of believers baptized by the Holy Spirit into one body, each believer living his life in the power of the Holy Spirit; its mission being to witness concerning its Head, Jesus Christ, and teach and preach the gospel among all nations.
6. The entire program of Christian training is evangelical. It finds its reason for being, and its goal, in bringing the individual to a personal acceptance of Jesus Christ as Savior and Lord, in helping the Christian grow in grace and in the knowledge of our Lord, and in equipping Christians for more effective service.
c. History of the Institute
More than ten years ago, Founder and Dean, Pastor Nathaniel Goodson, Jr., felt led by God to establish a Bible Institute for the purpose of providing opportunities for members of the local congregation to engage in systematic bible study and leadership training in a classroom setting.
After the first year of presenting a limited selection of courses to a number of conscientious students in attendance, he felt the need to solicit the support of the Evangelical Training Association (ETA) whose focus is compatible with that of the Institute – to develop leaders in the local church. ETA expanded the curriculum to include courses in biblical and doctrinal studies, ministry and leadership skills.
Reaching beyond the local church and heeding the command of the Great Commission that we should “teach ALL nations” and “make disciples of ALL people”, Dean Goodson was encouraged to recruit students from a variety of backgrounds – denominationally, racially, and ethnically, etc.
Over the years, the Institute has granted certificates to a vast number of students who have been able to assume significant leadership positions in their respective churches through exposure to our unique program.
Most recently, Pastor Goodson has been led to restructure the Institute for the purpose of preparing more of God’s people for His purpose. There are now more exciting and empowering courses; more prepared and dedicated instructors as well as newly renovated and comfortable classrooms.